Your grades are available on Buckeye Link. The registrar does not mail or e-mail grades to students. The grades used by the university and their points per credit hour are shown in the following chart:

1 2 3 4 5
A 4.0 8.0 12.0 16.0 20.0
A- 3.7 7.4 11.1 14.8 18.5
B+ 3.3 6.6 9.9 13.2 16.5
B 3.0 6.0 9.0 12.0 15.0
B- 2.7 5.4 8.1 10.8 13.5
C+ 2.3 4.6 6.9 9.2 11.5
C 2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 10.0
C- 1.7 3.4 5.1 6.8 8.5
D+ 1.3 2.6 3.9 5.2 6.5
D 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0

Note: Ohio State does not offer the grades of A+ and D-. You earn no points for an E or an EN (indicating that, at some point during the semester, you stopped attending the class), but the hours are calculated into your grade point average.

Points are not awarded for the following marks: 

EM Examination Credit
I Incomplete
K Transfer Credit
NP Non-Pass
P Progress
PA Pass
R Audit
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
W Withdrew

* See Description Below

Incomplete (I)

An "I" indicates that a student has completed a major portion of the work in the course in a satisfactory manner, but for legitimate reasons judged by the instructor, a portion of the course requirements need to be completed. If illness or an emergency prevents you from finishing a course, you may request an “Incomplete” from the instructor. When you receive this grade, you must consult with the instructor as soon as possible to make arrangements for completing the course requirements. Incomplete work must be completed no later than the 6th week of the following semester. If the work is not made up by the due date, the “I” mark will be changed to the alternate grade the instructor reported.

Pass/Non-Pass option (PA / NP)
  • You may take a maximum of 30 credit hours of electives on a pass/non-pass (PA/NP) basis
  • You cannot take general education, major, minor, or prerequisite courses pass/non-pass
  • You must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to use the pass/non-pass option
  • You must complete the pass/non-pass form in the Dean’s Office by the 2nd Friday of a term in order to use the option
Auditing a Course (R)

You may choose to audit a course in order to refresh yourself on the material or to learn more about a subject without earning a letter grade. Fees are assessed for auditing a course, but no credit hours are awarded. You cannot audit a course and then later take the course for a grade. Auditing a course requires the permission of the instructor and the permission of your college office, the latter obtained through your academic advisor.