CFAES Give Today
Academic Programs

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences

CFAES

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences Learning Community (CFAES)

CFAES

Overview of CFAES Learning Community:

The College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences Learning Community focuses on helping participants become successful CFAES students and future professionals through an approach which emphasizes: practical experiences, mentorship, academic achievement, and leadership development. This learning community was the first of its kind at Ohio State!

Click the button below for more information and how to apply!

Click here!

Who is eligible?

Freshmen and sophomores whose majors are in food, agricultural, and/or environmental sciences (CFAES) and who seek to enhance their leadership, communication, and teamwork skills.

Highlights: 

• CFAES Learning Community is the oldest LC on campus. It is celebrating it's 50th year! Read more here: https://cfaes.osu.edu/stories/50-years-shaping-students 
  • Interact with world-renowned faculty and alumni on research and outreach opportunities.
  • Be involved in impactful projects focused on improving the agricultural student community.

• Attend workshops focused on leadership development. 

• There are approximately 80 students in this learning community, which is typically 40 freshman and 40 sophomores. Students are housed in Nosker House. More information on Nosker house is available here

• Expand professional networks by interacting with industry representatives. 

• Attend industry field trips arranged for first and second year students. 

• Ability to interact with ATI students through collaborative activities and projects. 

• Students can also apply for STEP. More information on the STEP program is available here

Activities May Include...

• Team building activities
  • Monthly meeting with faculty and staff
  • Monthly socials, such as: movies and crafts, salsa-dancing, square-dancing, Halloween party, ice skating, baking lessons, Columbus Zoo visit, Cornhole tournament and so much more!
  • Diversity and Wellness discussions
  • Personal finance and scholarship 
  • Field trips
  • Employer/Industry panel for preparation for the Career Expo

Questions or Concerns, contact:

Sarah Williams | Program Coordinator | (614) 292-5320 | williams.4263@osu.edu

Follow The Ohio State University CFAES Learning Community on Facebook!

facebook        

Testimonials From Our Students:

"Living in the CFAES Learning Community has been a transformational experience for me. Having the opportunity to live with a smaller community of like-minded people within a larger campus community truly gives you the best of both worlds. I believe my acedemic and social experiences were enhanced by the CFAES Learning Community." -Seth Wasilewski

"Living in the CFAES Learning Community was one of the best choices that I made when I came to Ohio State. It expanded my learning past the classroom walls by allowing me to live and learn with students that came from diverse backgrounds. We had many conversations about our classes, but the most meaningful were conversations we had about life, politics, and our own experiences. I would never have participated in Buckeye Royal if it weren’t for the many friends I made in the LC that had shown livestock and supported me. If I could go back in time, I would choose to live in the LC again." - Joe Gryboski

"Living in the CFAES LC greatly improved my educational experience throughout my years at OSU. Not only was I able to meet peers with similar interests, but I was able to apply and expand my learning experience outside of the classroom by learning about everyone’s background and their perspectives on current issues and practices in the various industries and paths within CFAES. These connections along with connecting with faculty, leaders, and employers allowed me to continually grow in my knowledge!" - Xamarie Ruiz

"The LC helped me build connections with not only my peers, but with faculty around CFAES. It set me on a career path that I never would have found while also giving me a community that has been supportive of my Buckeye journey from day 1. I have formed lifelong connections and made memories that I will never forget, and for that I am incredibly grateful for my time in the LC." - Allison Sanders

CFAES LC Logo