Overview of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and Bobby Moser Food Security and Sustainability Living-Learning Community (Kellogg-Moser LC):
If you have passions for food production, security, and safety, but also nutrition, wellness, hunger, food waste, and sustainable agriculture, then the Kellogg-Moser Living-Learning Community is the place for you! These students live in Houston House, take the FAES 2000 seminar course during their first semester of college, conduct community service, and attend off-campus trips while getting to interact with world-renowned faculty who address food security issues!
KMLC is a partnership between CFAES and OSU Residence Life.
Click the button below for more information and how to apply!
NEW in 2023!
Spring break trip to Chicago to take a deep dive into local food culture. We will visit with alumni and industry professionals in the area as well as local universities conducting research on food sustainability.
Who is eligible:
Freshmen and Sophomores who are interested in generating discussion and change around food production, food security, hunger, food safety, food policy, human nutrition and wellness, human and community development, sustainable agriculture practices, leadership, and civic engagement.
- Early move-in with community building opportunities and a required seminar course to allow for maximum time for interaction on food system issues.
- Peer mentors assigned to help in the transition to campus and class projects.
- Expenses paid trips to network with alumni and industry professionals who work with governmental agencies, non-profits, and companies.
- Engagement in community activities at food banks, food pantries, and other community organizations to enhance your leadership skills.
Activities May Include...
- Discussions with faculty on: food culture, nutrition security, dining services, organic vs. conventionally grown food, diet management in rural areas, origins of food production; food policy and food mapping; distribution of food
- Tours of Buckeye Food Alliance, Waterman Farm, Student Farm, Mansfield Microfarm, and Worthington Farmer's Market
- Participation in World Food Day activities
- As well as, students will...
- Develop a prospective of food security that considers issues related to health nutrition and human development; food, food production and the environment; entrepreneurship and business; and food policy.
- Gain skills in bringing together multiple constituencies to focus on major food system challenges, issues, and opportunities;
- Interact with Discovery Theme faculty and gain greater awareness of campus and community efforts associated with food security, community engagement, and sustainability initiatives.
- Engage in high-impact practices including undergraduate research, internships, study abroad, leadership and community-engaged learning; and create positive change to impact the well-being of communities.
Testimony From Our Students:
"Starting off my time at Ohio State with the Kellogg-Moser Food Security and Sustainability Learning Community was one of the best decisions I made. Having the opportunity to come and explore campus early, meeting the people I would be living with in Houston House for the year, and making connections with OSU faculty and Columbus food and sustainability-related organizations was extremely beneficial even following my time in the LC. I think that joining a learning community, especially KMLC with it being so close-knit and just starting out, really helped me become comfortable at such a large school. Through my involvement in the LC, I was made aware of countless other opportunities including Time for Change, where I am now the President. The connections and growth that I had during my short time in the LC was truly transformational, and I would recommend it to any incoming student looking for a community of supportive, like-minded individuals." -Anna Martin, Environmental Policy and Decision Making major
Questions or Concerns, contact:
Sarah Williams | Program Coordinator | (614) 292-5320 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ohio State University Kellogg-Moser Living-Learning Community on Facebook!